WE @ Cannes Lions 2019
Cannes lions 2019
When: June 17-21, 2019
Where: Palais des Festivals, Cannes, France
- Melissa Waggener Zorkin, Global CEO and Founder
- Kass Sells, Global COO and President of International
- Ruth Allchurch, Managing Director of UK
- Bianca Eichner, VP and Managing Director of Germany
- Kristin Flor Perret, SVP of Global Marketing
- Nichole Provatas, Group Head of Digital, Australia
What were WE up to?
WE Struck gold
Alongside McCann, WE took home both a Gold Lion and a Titanium Lion for our joint campaign with Microsoft's Xbox, 'Changing the Game.' Our campaign work saw Microsoft launch adaptive Xbox controllers for disabled gamers with limited mobility.
For the second year in a row, WE hosted an interactive gameshow on the Terrace Stage. Teaming up with leading tech expert and journalist, Holly Brockwell, our Jeopardy-like gameshow provided detailed insights on fake news. Through a series of case studies, we then asked the audience whether it was real or fake news.
The Next Generation of Communicators
WE invited three college students from EMEA, APAC and NA to Cannes to learn the art of communications from seasoned WE execs while on the job. Andreea Adascalitei (United Kingdom), Kanhaiya Maheshwary (North America) and Melvin Ong (Singapore) participated in our gameshow, produced live content and even took some behind-the-scenes footage on our social media.
In partnership with WE, The Drum hosted a panel asking, "Does a brand's purpose really impact sales?" Our Managing Director of UK, Ruth Allchurch discussed at length alongside Jane Wakely, chief marketing officer of Mars Petcare, Dinara Bekmansurova, global senior brand director of Unilever's Dove, and Sonoo Singh, moderator and associate editor of The Drum.
We spoke up
Melissa Waggener Zorkin hosted a live TV interview from Cannes, sharing thoughts on diversity, technology and fake news with Euronews broadcaster, Damon Embling.
Melissa Waggener Zorkin participated in an online interview with broadcast journalist, James Wright at CNBC discussing our recently launched purpose research and why purpose matters for more people in business than just marketers.
Melissa Waggener Zorkin attended The Holmes Report's annual Cannes CEO Roundtable, discussing how purpose drives reputation and reputation drives business. Executives from Edelman, FleishmanHillard, Golin, Ketchum, MSL and Weber Shandwick were all present.
Kass Sells spoke at a Holmes Report and ICCO closed panel discussion on client needs, including strategy and creative. Kass spoke alongside executives from Aflac, Coca-Cola, Dow Jones, Mars, as well as Procter and Gamble.
The Holmes Report: Kass Sells, Global COO and President of International on the Echo Chamber Podcast
Kass spoke with Arun Sudhaman, CEO at The Holmes Report on their PR Show Podcast discussing agency transformation and how to remain relevant in turbulent times.
Melissa Waggener Zorkin sat down with Steve Barrett, Editor-in-chief at PRWeek to discuss on their podcast platform brand purpose, authenticity and communications.
Bianca Eichner, VP and Managing Director of Germany, represented WE on this year’s judging panel for the 2019 Pharma Lions.
In lieu of Cannes Lions Festival, WE’s gameshow host, Holly Brockwell scripted a guest blog about Deep Fakes.
Also revving up for Cannes, we asked our three college student guests, "What's the purpose of purpose?"
Kanhaiya, NA college student, blogged about his first two days at the festival, reflecting that he was seeing a reversal in the typical innovation process and hearing multiple conversations on breaking the AI stereotypes.
Holly Brockwell guest blogged for us, but this time on her key takeaways from Cannes Lions Festival 2019, sharing five major themes that stood out to her.
After judging the 2019 Pharma Lions, Bianca Eichner blogged on why only 11 of 352 entries won a Lion and how McCann Health Shanghai, along with their client WeChat, took home the Grand Prix.
we got you covered
...on our coverage.
- PRWeek: Which PR agencies did the best at Cannes? Here's the 2019 medal table
- Holmes Report: WE's Kass Sells on agency transformation (Ep. 169)
- Holmes Report: Cannes: Clients Want Strategy And Counsel, Not An "Integrated Delivery System"
- PRNews: Did Unilever’s New CEO Just Irrevocably Change Purpose Marketing?
- Holmes Report: CANNES: ONE TAKEAWAY FROM THIS YEAR'S FESTIVAL, "REPUTATION MATTERS"
- Holmes Report: CANNES 2019: PR FIRMS CLOSE OUT WEEK WITH MORE WINS — FULL ROUNDUP
- Clarity: MY FIRST CANNES: PR BELONGS AT THE CREATIVE TABLE
- Latin Spots: CANNES LIONS: EL PROPÓSITO DE LAS MARCAS
- CNBC: Marketing Media Money: Why purpose matter and not just for marketers
- euronews: Diversity, technology and fake news and Cannes Lions 2019
- The Drum: Does a brand’s purpose really impact sales?
- Holmes Report: Cannes Day Four: PR Firms In On Four Of Thursday's Grand Prix Prizes
- Bizcommunity: #CannesLions2019: Experience Lions winners!
- Holmes Report: Cannes Day Three: Outcast Picks Up Gold Lion As Lead Agency
- PRWeek: The PRWeek at 6.18.2019: WE's Melissa Waggener Zorkin
- PRWeek: Edelmen, Weber, Havas PR, MSL: PR shops on Cannes Lions shortlists as festival begins
- Horizont: Germany brings ten lions on the opening day
- Holmes Report: Preview: The PR World At Cannes 2019
- ICCO: House of PR Schedule 2019
- The Drum: The Drum Arms in Cannes with WFA, FCB, Ogilvy, Havas, Reuters, GSK, P&G and Vizeum
- Horizont: Das erwarten die deutschen Juroren von den Cannes Lions
- codigo: Se completó los nombres de los jurados para Cannes Lions: tres peruanos en la lista final
- Roast Brief: Cannes Lions anuncia a los miembros finales del jurado 2019
- Marketing Directo: Cannes Lions anuncia el jurado final para 2019
- Merca 2.0: CONOCE LOS MIEMBROS FINALES DEL JURADO DE CANNES LIONS 2019
- Total Medios: CANNES LIONS 2019: SE ANUNCIARON TODOS LOS JURADOS DEL FESTIVAL
- Clube de criacao: Cannes Lions 2019
- Prop Mark: Cannes Lions revela últimos membros de júris e exalta diversidade
- Capital Image: CAPITAL-IMAGE REMPORTE UN GRAND PRIX MÉDIA 2019 POUR SA CAMPAGNE DÉMÉNAGEZ AVEC KIJIJI
- Best Media Info: Final jury members names for Cannes Lions 2019 out
- Little Black Book: Cannes Lions Announces Final Jury Members for 2019
- Shoot online: Cannes Lions Sets Rest Of Jury Lineups For 2019
- Business Review: Four Romanians selected as jury members at Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity 2019
- MM&M: Meet the 2019 Cannes Lions Health juries
- Branding in Asia: Cannes Lions Announces ‘Most Diverse’ Jury with 48% Women Jurors
- B&T: Cannes Lions Announces Final Jury Members For 2019
- Campaign Brief: CANNES LIONS ANNOUNCES FINAL JURY MEMBERS; HIGHEST PERCENTAGE OF FEMALE JURORS ON RECORD
- Campaign Brief Asia: CANNES LIONS ANNOUNCES FINAL JURY MEMBERS; HIGHEST PERCENTAGE OF FEMALE JURORS ON RECORD
- Ad Hugger: Cannes Lions announces final jury members for 2019