Celebrating McDelivery Day: A Throwback of Epic Proportions
2018 McDelivery Day
A nod to the ‚Äė90s makes for the busiest delivery Thursday on record at the time.
The Evolution of¬†QSR ‚ÄĒ Now It‚Äôs On Wheels!¬†
Technology has conditioned¬†consumers to expect instant gratification and convenience¬†‚ÄĒ¬†nowhere is that more evident than¬†food delivery and its impact on¬†the¬†Quick Service Restaurant (QSR) industry.¬†According to UBS Financial Services, the online food delivery market¬†will¬†grow¬†tenfold by 2030 to almost $365 billion, representing the highest growth opportunity for QSR.¬†It‚Äôs no wonder top QSR companies are jumping into the delivery movement with services like¬†Uber Eats,¬†DoorDash and Postmates.
This raises the stakes for a company like McDonald‚Äôs, with a massive global footprint of over 36,000 restaurants,¬†to¬†evolve¬†from a brick-and-mortar QSR to a tech-forward food delivery business. Enter McDelivery.¬†
In 2017, McDonald‚Äôs¬†took a powerful step¬†forward¬†by partnering with Uber Eats and¬†rolling¬†out¬†its¬†first-ever Global¬†McDelivery¬†Day. This¬†promotion leaned on high-powered celebrity endorsements,¬†local activations and¬†free limited-edition swag¬†to drive¬†consumer awareness and¬†trial¬†of¬†McDelivery.¬†¬†
In 2018, McDonald‚Äôs delivered a¬†loftier¬†challenge¬†‚ÄĒ¬†go bigger, with¬†higher restaurant participation¬†and¬†stronger¬†business impact¬†for¬†the program.¬†But there was a twist.¬†We were tasked¬†to do this¬†with¬†a¬†more¬†streamlined budget and without the novelty of a first-year program or flashy celebrity partnerships.¬†¬†
To deliver on this challenge, we needed to¬†convince McDonald‚Äôs Owner/Operators that participating in the promotion would have significant sales impact for their businesses, as well as¬†educate consumers about the¬†McDelivery¬†service.¬†¬†
Taking all of this into account, our campaign had two objectives:¬†¬†
- Increase awareness¬†for¬†McDelivery.¬†
- Drive business impact, specifically¬†increase¬†McDelivery¬†orders and guest counts.¬†
McDonald‚Äôs consumer research and our own social listening honed¬†our¬†understanding of the prevailing consumer attitude:¬†McDelivery¬†is a¬†craveable, delicious treat when you need or want to stay in the moment.¬†¬†
We also¬†researched¬†the barriers¬†and opportunities¬†for consumers when considering McDelivery via Uber Eats.¬†Here‚Äôs what we learned:¬†¬†
- The high delivery fee discouraged¬†trial and usage for McDelivery.
- Delivery discussion on social spiked on Thursday nights, when consumers hit the late week slump and wanted a convenient dinner.
- A fervor for ‚Äė90s nostalgia was influencing everything from fashion to TV to film, especially¬†with¬†our delivery target audience.¬†¬†
These insights informed our phased approach to launch Global McDelivery Day with a specific focus on making the moments you need or want¬†to stay in more fun¬†‚ÄĒ¬†with an order of¬†McDonald‚Äôs delivered right to your door.¬†¬†
Creating a¬†Craveable¬†Global Moment¬†
Based on our insights, we¬†needed¬†to create an incentive for consumers to try¬†McDelivery ‚ÄĒ¬†enter the Throwback Collection, free¬†‚Äė90s-inspired¬†merchandise available exclusively to customers that ordered McDelivery in participating restaurants on Thursday, July 19. These sought-after collection items gave us a way to drive¬†trial and¬†surprise and delight¬†customers during one unified global moment.¬†
Here was our strategy¬†for Global¬†McDelivery¬†Day:¬†
- Remind consumers that McDonald‚Äôs delivers and McDelivery exists.¬†¬†
- Show the convenience and ease of use of McDelivery via Uber Eats.¬†
- Reward and celebrate purchases to drive demand, coverage and conversation.¬†¬†
- Create¬†a global moment for McDelivery in existing and mature delivery markets.
The Throwback Collection Warms Deliveries ‚ÄĒ and Hearts¬†¬†
Global¬†McDelivery Day was activated in McDonald‚Äôs restaurants around the world. Here's how we brought it to life:¬†¬†
- Leverage the Throwback Collection to drive buzz and McDelivery orders:¬†We¬†tapped into McDonald‚Äôs¬†brand fans by delivering our nostalgic Throwback Collection in giant Big Mac boxes to media, celebrities and paid and earned influencers. These surprise and delight deliveries drove organic content from culture-defining celebrities and trendsetters, reaching consumers around the globe and making it impossible to¬†not¬†order McDelivery.¬†
- Focus on unique items efficiently distributed via app opt-in and Uber Eats couriers:¬†In 2018, our goal was to go bigger, with as many restaurants as possible. To secure¬†Owner/Operator¬†participation, we designed Collection items that were easier to distribute on a larger scale, while still driving demand. This made it easier for Uber Eats couriers to deliver Collection items, and reassured¬†Owner/Operators¬†that rallying together on Global McDelivery Day presented a worthwhile ROI.¬†¬†
- Lean into the food and fun factor to drive social buzz:¬†Because we know that McDelivery is a craveable treat for those moments¬†when¬†you can‚Äôt¬†or don‚Äôt want to¬†get away, we decided to bring some joy to our media influencers to drive buzz. On Global McDelivery Day, we surprised targeted influencers, including Hearst Media, Instagram and Cheddar TV, with a¬†McDelivery¬†lunch¬†‚ÄĒ¬†transforming their sad office desk lunches¬†into fun, buzzworthy moments¬†that resulted¬†in organic social buzz.¬†
- Create a global moment through local activations:¬†The¬†Throwback Collection¬†was¬†used as¬†a unifying customer incentive,¬†and¬†global markets were able to customize activations based on their markets. For example, McDonald‚Äôs Canada conducted product drops to radio and broadcast stations across the country. The local New York team engaged Mets players Brandon Nimmo and Michael Confort¬†to¬†greet families at the Ronald McDonald House¬†with pieces from the Throwback Collection.¬†In¬†Colombia,¬†McDonald's surprised¬†105 journalists with¬†McDelivery¬†and Collection items¬†in five different cities. These were just¬†a few¬†of the many¬†activations¬†that drove a unified global moment.¬†¬†
Global¬†McDelivery¬†Day 2018¬†was a hit!¬†We achieved our campaign objectives of increasing awareness and boosting delivery sales. We measured this in¬†three¬†ways:¬†1) YOY analysis¬†of consumer awareness¬†2)¬†breakthrough among trend-setting consumer influencers and¬†3)¬†an¬†increase¬†in¬†markets and¬†Owner/Operator¬†participation¬†and their resulting delivery sales.¬†¬†
- We secured¬†more than 175 ‚ÄĮglobal media placements,¬†carrying‚ÄĮ100% favorable tone.¬†¬†
- Global McDelivery Day social conversations reached¬†billions¬†with a¬†95% favorable sentiment.¬†
- Despite using 75%¬†fewer¬†influencers than in 2017,¬†our influencer agency partner,¬†The Narrative Group,¬†generated a¬†30% YOY increase in total potential impressions¬†across a wide range of verticals and audiences.¬†¬†
- Social posts from engaged paid influencers¬†drove¬†thousands of¬†clicks to the McDelivery Microsite, activating consumers to find a participating restaurant and place their order. Seeding top-tier brand fans resulted in unpaid posts from¬†various celebrities.¬†
- We generated a significant global lift, producing ‚ÄĒ at the time¬†‚ÄĒ the Thursday with the most orders for McDelivery on record.
By¬†tying food, fun and nostalgia together,¬†WE was able to create a global movement that rocketed McDonald‚Äôs delivery service into the hearts and minds¬†‚ÄĒ and¬†stomachs¬†‚ÄĒ¬†of consumers.¬†